Friday 26 August 2011

When is a Sponge cake a Sponge and when is a Custard a Custard?

We encountered some delightful cakes on our trip to France this year but I confused myself with what some of them were. I'll explain.

On visiting Bordeaux I Googled "local specialities" and came across Caneles'. pron canelays. These appeared to be small individual cakes of perfect construction and exact dimensions. We purchased a 'set' of these cakes and hungrily opened the packet to indulge in the delicacy within.

 !!??!! eh?!

Is it a cake or is it a custard? The outside is caramelised and spongey whereas the centre is smooth and consists of custard. Wow! Nice, Nasty, I didn't know. My mind had told me it was a small sponge cake whereas my mouth was screaming CUSTARD!

They are made using a custard batter and a mold to get the desired shape.
Love them or hate them, they look impressive all neatly in rows in a delicatessens' window.

Was it a sponge or a custard? I call them Spustards!

Another delicacy of Bordeaux are the Macarons, not to be confused with the english Macaroon. Now these are impressive in many ways.
Not only are they a wonder to look at with their varying colours and flavours, but they are so, so delicate.
We were ordering twelve, (yes, dear reader, I said twelve) and the assistant would not let us order certain ones as they are too light! ........eh?........ what transcribed after careful translation was that we could order the ones we wanted but only after we had ordered heavier ones first as the heavy ones will break the lighter ones in the bag if not packaged correctly. What rubbish!!

It wasn't rubbish. Even though the bag had been meticulously packed, in order of weight, we still had a broken Pampelmousse and my Ananas was completely destroyed! That's Grapefruit and Pineapple to me and you!

No comments:

Post a Comment