Friday 8 July 2011

Rice Quicksand

Hello and Welcome to my new Blog.

This is where I will be musing about all things food related, whether it be a trip to my local Chinese Takeaway or a story from my past exploits in culinary experimentation. The end goal is to find my perfect meal. It may be a complete eight course Gastronomic feast or it could be that I find the tastiest variety of tomato and it blows my mind!

It's simple really, we have to eat to survive. If we don't, we'll be dead! It's not rocket science. 

My thoughts are, if we have to eat then why not enjoy it. Learn to cook, learn to appreciate food, learn to like the things your mum tried to get you to eat as a kid and you detested. You'll probably like them now. I do. Rice Pudding!!! As a seven year old I would rather have used it for quicksand and rescued my Six Million Dollar Man action figure from its clutches, but now, it's a revelation. Here's what I do:

1 Mango
60g Pudding Rice
Knob of Butter
1 pint of Milk (full Fat!)
1 tbs Caster Sugar
A pinch of Saffron
A low table to rest your feet on

Warm 50ml of your milk and steep the saffron in it. Put to one side.
Put the rice and milk in to an oven proof dish and plop in the knob of butter. 
Stir in the sugar.
Bake for a couple of hours at 150 C. Check if it needs and extra 15 mins or so and cook as required.
Chop up the mango in to small chunks and put in the bottom of your bowls.
Spoon the cooked rice pudding over the top and drizzle with the infused Saffron milk.
Stick your feet up and enjoy. 

Did You Know? Rice was known about and cultivated in China more than 3000 years ago but the plant (Oryza Sativa) may have originated in southern India then spread north and in to China.

Rice was introduced in England to housewives to be used in yucky Rice Quicksand as recently as the 1970's.....   ......the rest is history. (This may or may not be true. If you were born in the 70's like me then you know the truth.)

So there it is, Blog number 1 DONE!


Coming Soon....    .....Chilli Bath Madness!

No comments:

Post a Comment